e readers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

e readers

Post by tara on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:38 pm

I went back and forth debating on getting myself a kindle for Christmas. I wanted to check it out, on the other hand I really like holding the book and thought I probably wouldn't like it very much. In the end I didn't buy one.

BUT, my mom got me a Nook for Christmas and I LOVE IT!!! It's the plain one, not color but it's awesome. I have a ton of books on there, mostly free ones and a couple I bought for under $5. I've read 12 books since Christmas, and started a half dozen others I just didn't get into and deleted. The charge lasts forever since it's not backlit like other electronics. It keeps your place if you set it down to deal with the kids and forget about it. No more lost bookmarks (or ones pulled out by a small frye that thinks he's funny. It's light and fits in my purse so I can bring it everywhere and if I finish one while I'm out.... no biggie I have a tons more at my fingertips. The suede cover makes it feel like your holding a real book.

The only thing I don't like it that it seems I can only get things from Barnes and Noble.... I am sure there are ways around that but I am lost on how to do it, does anyone know?

tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Re: e readers

Post by KellyM on Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm sure there are ways to investigate how to put other books on it somehow. Hubby got me a kindle 3 for our anniversary...sounds almost identical in features as your nook..I have the bookmarking feature it's not backlit either..my battery life is great. A friend I know got a nook color for Christmas and loves it.....are you addicted to it yet?...lol I love mine, I bought a cover for it..it straps in and has a cover like a real book... I was thinking the same as you that I wasn't sure how I would like it..but I love it. I have tons of free books from amazon...I hear people mention Moby (i think it is) all the time for downloading free books..maybe theres' a way to download them to your computer and then from your computer to your nook. I know I can download music on mine... There must be a way to get other books on it..
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Tara, my son and his GF got her mother a Nook. She loves it, too. DS's GF got him a Kindle. So they have seen and played with both. I asked which they thought they liked better and Liz said the Nook. I can't remember what her reason was, something about what's at the bottom of the reader. Whatever it was, she thought it was convenient. I can ask them how to get other stuff for the Nook next time I talk to them.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:40 am

Mine has a small touch screen at the bottom to navigate with, the Kindle (from the pic I see daily on Amazon) has a keyboard. I think the pull up touch keyboard is more than sufficient as far as looking up books.... not a whole lot of typing going on.

I haven't touched a Kindle to compare to, the only reason I think I may have preferred it to the Nook would be so that I could use my gist cards to buy books.... but it's probably a good thing I can't. I am sure I will still hit up the library quite a bit for newer books I want to read. I read way too fast to spend 10 dollars on books, they just don't last long enough. I can always buy it to keep it forever if I really love one.

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:59 pm

From the reviews I've read most people seem to prefer the Nook. I've never tried either though. I just downloaded a bunch of free books onto my iPhone and I do like reading them on there better than I thought I would. I was at the dentist today and it was handy to have something to read that wasn't a 3 year old magazine while I was in the waiting room.

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm curious... I've read a little about each of the e-readers... but even after you buy the reader, do you have to pay to download books? If so, what kind of price range are we talking for each one?
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Yes you do Dee,but I know that the kindle offers thousands of free ones each month,I don't know if any others do. Maybe someone else can tell you how much the books go for,I just knew something about them because I had bought one for my niece
agaphmou

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Barnes and Nobles offers a whole lot of free ones too. If you click their free nookbook link it only brings up a few but if you search 0.00 you get over a million of free book results.

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:37 pm

that'll be something to look into.... thanks.
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm

oh and you can get the apps for all of them on your computer or iphone for free and download free books to read on them : )

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 am

I got the Kindle 3 for Christmas and love it. I don't like touch screens, so for me I would prefer the Kindle 3. I never wanted one, but now that I have one, I love it! I still have to look into other sites that I can go to and download books to my computer then bring them over to the Kindle. Apparently our library has books that can go on the e-readers, so maybe your local library does as well. I ordered a case for mine (as well as a light to clip onto the case for reading in the dark), but it hasn't arrived yet (hopefully soon). I haven't had a chance to read much, but I do have a few free books on mine. I have noticed the prices from Amazon.com are usually under $10 for the books. They do have quite a few free ones, but I haven't figured out a way to search for free books, so I just click on the different titles and check out the price (much more time consuming). I like with Amazon (not sure if Barnes and Noble does this), but if there is a book I might be interested in, I can get a sample first (one full chapter I believe) to see if I like it before I actually buy it. I haven't had a chance to buy any yet (also got a GC for Amazon) since I have a bunch of samples and a bunch of free books on it.
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:43 pm

aurora,you have to search for 0.00 to get the free ones
agaphmou

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment... despite having over $44 on my gift card they keep charging my CC. I've called twice and was told they were sorry it was all fixed... just for it to happen again. So back to freebies for the time being.

On a positive note I just found out I can borrow e books from our library system and put them on the nook! Endless selection of great books for free!!!! Thankfully the nook is compatible because you can't do it with Kindle or Apple products.

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 pm

That's great, Tara. Going to tell my son in case his GF's mom doesn't know that.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 pm

aaaaand, of course he knows that. LOL He pretty much knows everything. Oh, to be young again.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:45 pm

LMAO
Well I was sure excited, lol. I love that I can add them from home, no trip required, not that we don't spend an enormous amount of time at the library anyway, they offer some really great programs... but if I finish my book at 3 am and want another I can do it right then.

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top