Um...ok..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Um...ok..

Post by KellyM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 pm

So, the local soup kitchen posted on FB, they are in need of pies for Thanksgiving dinner. They need a minimum of 30 pies and wanted anyone who offered to make one to give them their name and #...they'd be letting us know when to drop them off. I offered to make some Dutch Apple pies and sugar cookies.
OK, Thanksgiving is on Thurs of next week..they want us to drop the pies off on Monday? Just because someone eats at a soup kitchen doesn't mean they should have 4 day pie.. I know pie keeps well....but still.. I would not eat pie that I knew was 4 days old. This is a small community..they don't have so much with organization that they need this stuff 4 days ahead...

figured I'd better edit before someone takes it the wrong way. I guess my point is that if we volunteer to make the pie, I'd like to volunteer to make some so that someone will have a nice piece of pie on Thanksgiving. I wouldn't want to offer them 4 day old pie...

Last edited by KellyM on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Um...ok..

Post by Lori on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm

They're probably trying to insure that they get the pies and know if they're going to run short so they have time to make up any slack by making more pies. But yeah, I agree...the crust may be funky by Thursday.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I totally understood what you were trying to say, and I completely agree w/ you. I wouldn't want to eat 4 day old pie either...
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

View user profile http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 pm

lol..I don't know why people always take exception to things I say and take them the wrong way. Now I have some guy yelling at me on FB about the pie post, saying that people buy 4 day old pie at the store all of the time and folks that eat at the soup kitchen would be greatful for 4 day old pie.

Well, maybe so...but I wasn't trying to down people that eat 4 day old pie.

My point was that I wouldn't bake a pie to serve to friends 4 days later,
and I feel the people at the soup kitchen deserve the same consideration.. sheesh..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Totally funky pie, but I would imagine they are freezing them? And I agree, trying to make sure they have enough, in case they can make more or get them from a local grocery or something.

BTW, I think it's an awesome thing. I donate to the local food banks, and I think everyone who has plenty should.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

lol, no they aren't freezing them. I spoke directly with the person coordinating the whole thing and they are going to be refrigerated. I understand they may be strapped for time..but even two nights before would be better than on Monday..the cookies will probably be stale by then as well..oh well.. Hopefully they won't be too bad..
We donate to quite a few different organizations as well this time of year as I'm sure all of you do too at your jobs, stores, local businesses, etc.. My husband is in the local Kiwanis and their members get together and donate gifts, and take gift donations for local low income families. We usually buy a few gifts for that. I usually give to Toys for Tots and we give to the local food banks through Kris' work, his Kiwanis, we give at the Salvation Army bell ringers atleast a couple times a week at Walmart, and every other store, we also bring donations of money, food, litter, and treats to the local animal shelter. I love this time of year because a lot of people are in the giving mood, which is the best part of the holidays...
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:53 pm

I do Salvation Army Angel tree, picked those today, Toys for Tots, Blue Santa, and the local food bank. For the Angel tree Xander picked a girl , age 2, who would like a "baby doll" for Christmas, I picked a teen boy/15, and I picked Bayley a teen girl/13, I also picked a Teen for the girlies /14 yo girl, and one for my nephew/a16yo boy...we all go shop together, and have lunch while they are being wrapped, then we deliver them on the way home to the Salvation Army. It's become a tradition..... . Everyone picks the little kids and babies, so i always get the teens....Xander picked his based on her "ornament"...LOL

The teensd generally ask for clothes,or electronics. This year it is clothes...

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 pm

That sounds nice Erin...a great tradition that you've passed on to your kids. Plus you all get to spend time together to do it too
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top