My goofy goofy kid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My goofy goofy kid

Post by edbson on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:57 am

So, I got a letter yesterday from the school informing me that Bay has been identified for the "talent identifation program", it is thru Duke University. They have courses at A&M, and other schools around the US. I knew she had been identified in the 4th grade, based on TAKS scores, and they asked if they could do an IQ test....so I let them. They then choose the top 5% of the class( based on IQ, Continued TAKS scores, etc), and continue them in the program. She has taken the SAT, and ACT with them, and scored well...anyway...
They apparently gave her a summer course sign up form for the summer, and she signed up for 2 classes....to the tune of $3400. She would like to take:

Zombies and Vampires:
Given the current obsession with vampires, werewolves, and zombies, our society has returned to our ancestors' fascination with the human turned inhuman, the human emerging from the dead, or the human devolving. Explore monsters of literature, myth, and legend from their inception to modern day. Take a literary excursion into the depths of monsters of myth and legend from various cultures, and analyze classic texts such as The Invisible Man, Frankenstein, and Dracula. Plot the evolution of the paranormal from the 19th century to contemporary times to see how it reflects societal changes and issues. Move into the 20th century to discuss works such as The Generation Dead, The Zombie Survival Guide, and more.

Offered: 8-10 - Texas A&M University

and

Writer's Workshop
Develop and explore your creative writing talent. Working in peer groups, you will read and analyze work from well-known authors and poets in numerous genres. Through daily exercises and prompts, you will develop your own style and voice and hone your critical thinking skills. Examine what styles appeal to you and what sets international prize winners apart from less captivating writing. Practice peer review, the art of giving and receiving constructive criticism, and develop the focus necessary to create your own imaginative and persuasive writing.

Offered: 8-10 - Texas A&M University

I am seriously contemplating it, DH is beside himself that she would want to go to A&M...it's all about the ring ya know. If it was UT, I would be right on it....LOL. Neither of these course is going to help her get into a good college...but she is leaning towards writing and literature, so maybe.
I have to figure out where I can pull the money from....or make her earn it a little at a time. Thats ALOT of laundry folding and floor sweeping.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My goofy goofy kid

Post by briteasafirefly on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:30 pm

wow thats a bit of money...would they count for any kind of college credit once she gets into a college?
You could also look into seeing if any of the local community/junior colleges have any programs for high school students to take college courses. it would be possibly cheaper and still look good on college applications...and possibly count as high school credit and get some gen. ed classes out of the way when she does go to college.
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by agaphmou on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:06 pm

wow,that vampire/zombie etc class sounds extremely interesting!
agaphmou
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4523
Honeycomb :

Registration date : 2009-04-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

The thing is, it counts as an 8th grade course....so probably no credits.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down