Today...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Today...

Post by KellyM on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 pm

No...I didn't.. I mostly downloaded romance novels..mostly free, paid for some. I did download some free classics too. I'll download this and check it out though...I'm always interested in how to save money...thanks!
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:57 am

Today, I HAVE to catch up on grading JJ's assignments and put them in the grade book. I'm all caught up in grading his math up to last week. What's going to take more time grading will be his questions and compositions for Movies As Literature because those are subject to interpretation. Also have Spanish, You and the Law, and Passkey to ASVAB to grade too. I'd like to have his "report card/progress report" ready. He likes to know how he's doing.
This year of homeschooling seems to be going quite well. There's a lot of stuff to keep track of and documented, but all worth it when JJ does go into the military next year and college after that. The military is getting pickier apparently. When I was talking to the Marine recruiter, he wanted all kinds of info where JJ was homeschooled, lesson plans, transcripts,paperwork from the State Board of Education, etc. JJ isn't sure whether he wants to go into the Marines or Navy. According to the Marine recruiter, the Navy will probably be just as thorough.
So far, in his Math this year, JJ has a 95 average. We elected this year to take Consumer Math since he's already done Geometry, and his Algebra before. I thought it would be useful for him to learn budgeting, keeping a checkbook, figuring out APR, loans, etc. The course we chose is great and uses a lot of real life examples that he can relate to.
He likes most of his classes this year. If he had a least favorite it would have to be Spanish 1&2 because he has tons of work in it. But it's because we are trying to fit two years into one. Most colleges require them to have taken 2 years of a foreign language in highschool, so we wanted to be sure to fit it in. Even though he took French in Middle School for 2 years that didnt' count. I think we've covered all the bases this year. So it should be off to the recruiter next year for 4 years and then if he decides not to re-enlist, then off to college to get his degree in Criminal Justice. I'm a little worried, I hope that even though I've been homeschooling him for last year and this year that I've prepared him well.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Foreign language is required here to graduate High school, 2 years. Kristin took Spanish, but learned nothing, Bayley is taking French. She figures she will do well since it is her 2nd language.
You might also look into Calculus, the Navy likes Calculus,and Physics. I have a friend whose kid had to take IPC in A-school, before he could go on to his chosen technical training.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:23 pm

2 years foreign language is also required here to graduate high school if you are going for an "Academic Diploma." However if a student decides they want to go for a "general" diploma then the foreign language is not required, I don't think it's required for a "technical diploma" either. JJ would have had to take Spanish or French anyway had he stayed in public school, he had started out the beginning of the school year in public school with Spanish and would have had to take Spanish 2 this year. When we decided to homeschool, we had a consultation with a Homeschool Director Mrs Shirley Minster, who has her Masters in Education, she's also the same person who does JJ's portfolio review. We went with her recommendations for curriculum. She made the decisions based on what JJ wants to do. She did suggest Calculus or Physics if he was going to make a career of the Navy or Marines. Since he is only planning on enlisting for just the 4 years and hopes to be an MP during that time.. then go on to college for Criminal Justice, she said she'd recommend the law course. Of course, he could have done an extra course of Calculus or Physics on top of his course load already but it's quite full.
He has Marine Biology, Spanish 1 & 2, You and the Law, Consumer Math, Passkey to ASVAB, Movies as Literature, Work Study and Physical Ed. He already has his required Phys Ed credits but she felt it would be a good idea for him to keep a Phys Ed schedule going to prepare him for all of the PT he'll have in boot camp.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 pm

lets see today I am.... cleaning house. My dad is due on Thursday, its opening weekend this weekend (youth got to hunt last weekend), I have to get all the lumber for the deck portion of my house, I think I broke a bone in my hand (not really, I just bruised it real bad) loading up a 10 ft 12 inch dia. cedar pole for the porch steps yesterday, I have hogs about to drop anywhere from 8-13 babies each, its raining outside, and I have to get my kitchen back to 'baking' clean... OH and I have a week to get REALLY proficiant with one of the pistols my dad is bringing me- I am taking my conceal carry class on the 12, 13. which is why we are doing Bow's birthday this weekend.

I fiqure I will do the 9mm. that way I can carry a .380, but can upgrade anytime I want.

I am also getting this door today- Lowes wanted 369.00 for it. I found it 45 minutes away for 259.00 and Lowes wouldnt honor the price. SO- I called corporate. Now they say they will
https://www.goodvaluecenter.com/doors/861-steel-door-unit-tx-star-half.html

I am going to paint it red. The house is going to be covered in cypress, and the porch uprights will be cedar. I like cypress, but its more expensive and isnt hairy like cedar.

I dont think I am going to get all the materials today, since its raining- but will get the door and then go back later in the week for the rest of the stuff.

I also have to work on the benefit we are doing for a girl I went to school with. She has a month old baby and found out in her 7th month that she had thyroid cancer- By the time they could take the baby and do surgery on her it had spread to her lymph nodes. she is unemployed (she is a teacher, but not vested yet) and is paying cobra everymonth. She is a single mom too. So, we are doing a HUGE dance, BBQ cookoff, auction etc in December- but right now I am selling raffle tickets and Tshirts to raise money- I have almost gotten 1,000 tickets sold. But I picked out two damn good guns. a weatherby and a browning. Together they are over 1300.00 retail. I got them for cost (cause the gun dealer loves me LOL ) and we got a few business' to cover the cost of them, so all raffle money is going strait to her.
But I have to hit the streets and get more donations and stuff to auction off, plus get more donors and people to show up.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm

If you take the class with a Semi automatic you can carry a revolver, or a semi, or both( it says Concealed, not how many), but if you take it with a revolver you can only carry a revolver. It's not that hard, you HAVE to score I think 180 out of 250, so basically you will shoot 50 rounds, and with a 9 MM it ain't that hard. I have a Para Ordinance tiny9, and I shot a 237 out of 250 with it.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

voted, 'traditional breakfast at DQ Chill & Grill following voting, taped TV shows then a 3.5 mile walk in the subdivison... comfortable... Ellen, and now off to the shower before I head up the street for monthly bunco...

a good day here.
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Got hardly any grading done today..but I've set myself a goal to get caught up in everything before next week.

Was able to get a couple more free romance books for my kindle today. I just keep checking Amazon every few days for their newest free books. If it's free and I like it, I download it:) I do have a bunch of books that I'll have to pay for on my wishlist that I plan on getting to with what I earn in amazon credit after Christmas..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:48 pm

more importantly, did you take time to vote?
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:10 pm

I did vote, early this morning.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:11 am

I went with DH before dinner. There was a good, steady stream of voters in my precinct, but not really any waiting for a booth.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

yeah- I went and voted, and EVERYONE I voted for won, and the 48 million $ school bond was defeated! I am THRILLED!

at our polling place, by the time we got done signing the check in and talking with the first person doing names and crossing us off the list, (she found us and wrote us up as we were walking in cause we got caught by some family that was walking out) and got to the second one doing it for the school bond, she had already written down our names, found us in the book, and we just had to chat with her and sign. there are no lines. and its nice to know everyone in the precinct, LOL The chatting took longer than the voting Smile

I wasnt sure what the distances or shots fired were erin. I am doing it with a semi auto- and think I am going to use a 9mm. Depends on which one I like the best. I'd prefer to do it with the largest I can, so I can carry anything I want. We have a real sweet little .22 that with a stinger will take out whatever I need it to. But my prefrence is a .380. Like the one I used to have.

I fiqure if I shoot a few thousand rounds before next weekend I will be able to nail it pretty good. and thats my plan.

But I do have to get what distances I need.

I am turning down cakes for next week. And have 3 I have to get done for this week. I cant get my kids to cooperate and help me get anything done, and am just about to string them all up.

But right now I am off to deliver a UPS package that the driver couldnt get delivered. its for one of BR's cousins.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:42 pm

3, 7 and 15 yards....if you cannot hit a smurf at 15 yards you got no business shooting anything. Has to be .32 caliber or larger. I did it the first time with my 45, the second with a 9...so it can vary.

3 yards, 20 rounds

* 1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
* 2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
* 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds

* 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
* 2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
* 3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
* 1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
* 5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds

* 2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time