GPS help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GPS help

Post by KellyM on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 am

Anyone have a GPS? I was thinking of getting Kris one for Christmas. We borrowed BILs this summer and Kris said he would like to get one at some point. I had been looking for a little while and was looking at getting him a Garmin 4.3in which was around $100. or a little over...but today Amazon has a Tom Tom 5in as a gold box deal originally $199. and gradually decreased..the last price on it was $100. marked down to $89.99 wiith free supersaver shipping. We used a Garmin, that's what BILs gps was, but have had no experience with a Tom Tom and I don't know if this would be a better quality or has its own quirks. I did notice in reviews that the Tom Tom doesn't seem to say which side of the street locations are on...I don't know whether I should get this one since it was originally $199. and I'd be getting it for less than half..or if that markdown should tell me that there are issues with the Tom Tom and that's why they've had to mark them down..I'm not sure...

This is the gold box deal on Tom Tom
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_36550_16603600_pe_00_head

This is the Garmin I was looking at getting
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0011ULQNI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1282825025&sr=8-10

Last edited by KellyM on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GPS help

Post by KellyM on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:19 am

I figured I'd ask on here because the Gold Box deal only lasts another 18 hours or until sold out.. The gold box deals usually sell out before the time runs out..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 am

Lori, you've mentioned that you spend time geocaching..do you have a preference in GPS?
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:55 am

We have a handheld Garmin that we use for Geocaching, and we like it. The nav system in my car is built in and not name branded. Read the reviews carefully. Sometimes people who have more experience will mention why they like a particular brand over another and their reasoning may make sense to you. I always read the one star reviews first. Sometimes their reason for giving one star is stupid (like the seller they purchased from took 3 months to ship the item to them) but when a bunch of people say the same thing...best to heed their warning.

I remember my son looking at them and not being impressed with any one particular product. I don't know if there's a clear frontrunner as far as performance. I don't recall what he chose, but k now it was stolen from his car shortly after he bought it when he dared to park in downtown Grand Rapids at night.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:59 am

The handheld GPS is quite different from what you use for mapping out trips. There are no streets listed on it, so there is no issue with updates. It just lets you know where on planet Earth you are. Very Happy

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 am

We have a Handheld Garmin, and it has a "map software"so you could map out a trip if you wanted..., Dh uses it alot when fisahing, hunting, and I have used it for traveling.
I have GPS on my phone, and use it more than anything.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 pm

I have a Tom Tom. I love it in cities, but hate it on the back roads.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:57 pm

My sister and my nephew, both have a Garmin, but I don't know the model. They both say it always tells them the place is on the wrong side of the road. They are aware of it and don't seem to care. They both say it works well in city or rural areas. This sister is dyslexic and loves it because maps are hard for her to read, but even with the wrong side of the road thing, she loves her Garmin.

kleenaechs
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:11 pm

I have a Tom Tom and I like it. Obviously I only use it when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before so it's nice that it gives me advance warning for turns so I can be in the right lane. The kids like it because I downloaded a Yoshi icon to represent us on the map and I like that I have managed to drive dh crazy with the hillbilly voice I downloaded. It does like to send me down dirt roads from time to time, but it adjusts my route quickly if I decide I don't like the road it's sending me down and turn off course.

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Well, I decided to hold off and go for the Garmin that I originally planned on.

The Tom Tom was originally $199. marked down to $89. A lot of reviews on that particular model say that it doesn't say which side of the road the location is on, or they complain about map updating, complain that it's hard to take off the mount, and complain of the battery drain.

The Garmin that I was looking at was originally $229. for $119. so about the same price difference as on the Tom Tom.. the screen is smaller 4.3 inches to the Tom Tom's 5 inch. Like the Tom Tom, it's reviews are mostly good..there are a couple poor reviews. But going from what the reviews said on both and after considering when we used BIL's GPS (which was a Garmin)and we had a good experience with that for the most part. The only bad thing about it was that we didn't check the route settings before our trip, so we ended up getting routed through Monmouth (which is a big joke if you've ever listened to the comedian Bob Marley about the Monmouth road race) to get to Gray. But that was our error, not the GPS's. So I think maybe I'll wait a bit longer and see if they may go a little lower on the Garmin and if not I'll buy it sometime the beginning of Nov to make sure I have it long before Christmas.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Im obviously too late but I did buy my dad a Tom Tom a couple of years ago for Christmas and he loves it.

What really caught my eye was that you Geocache! So do we! However I use an app on my Blackberry for Geocaching.. I will have to try to get a travel bug up your way now!
Connie

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 am

We have a travel bug we want to leave in Alaska. Well, we have the tags...just need something fun to attach it to.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

ack!! those are expensive!! glad I dont have to buy one...

I have a GPS- its called BR- LOL growing up around here hunting we pretty much know all the 100's of forrest roads and county roads, and roads that aint marked- and BR travels hundreds of miles a day onthe backroads picking up oil. When I have to go to the city, I just use the phone.

Thats the beauty of living where I do. Smile

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down