my crazy shopping trip

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: my crazy shopping trip

Post by KellyM on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Craigslist really isn't any good around here. If you check any listing on Craigslist you usually can't find anything listed above Portland (almost 6 hrs south from here). When people tell me to check Craigslist for furniture, or as you mentioned in another post, jobs, I tell them that here in the sticks it's useless. If there was something I wanted that I could have shipped I supposed, but I would have to be getting something cheap because I would have to pay shipping too..
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 pm

KellyM wrote:We also have to keep our eye out at Marden's, mom found a 600 threadcount egyptian cotton queen size set for $25. If I could keep my eye out for some king size sets there

Marden's must be a local store? I would love to find some CA King, 600 count for under $30 !
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 pm

yes bizzeedee, I think it's a regional chain...I know there are a few in the state, I don't know if there are Marden's in any other states.
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Okay. This is what I found. $28 for a tyvek garment bag large designed for wedding gown storage.

"Our Ultra Preservation TyvekŪ Garment Bags have a clear front and are designed for in-closet hanging, are perfect for those who want to store and view their gown. They are perfect for short term wedding gown and pageant gown storage and transport, and long term storage of leathers, dresses, suits, and furs. Tyvek, made by DuPont, is tough, durable and six times stronger than any cloth or paper container. It also allows the textile to breath, but is barrier resistant to insects and bacteria. The fibers allow trapped moisture and gasses to escape, preventing mildew."

Looks like shipping would be $11 so I'd be spending less than $40 total. That's not bad, all things considered.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:16 am

kleenaechs wrote:Beautiful dress! Your dd looks beautiful in it too. If you do decide to sell, you might try Craig's list rather than ebay. No fees there at all. When my dd got married a few years ago, her dream dress was only $400 at David's Bridal. They always have that $99 sale too. We almost picked one of those because of the price, but we got her the one she really wanted because it was her dream gown and only $400. I know many people pay $4000 and think nothing of it, but I see nothing wrong with the ones at David's Bridal. It is a sweet idea to save that dress, but the truth is that styles change often and girls usually like what is the current style. I know my dress is soooo 80's
Razz

That's always a chance of course, but I kind of think she might just wear it. She's always had a certain style to how she dressed, even as a toddler, and this is almost exactly the kind of thing she would pick for a fancy occasion. Either way, I'm okay with it. Even with the cost of a proper storage bag it's a good deal, and if no one in our family uses it, we'll eventually sell it and get the money back or gift it to someone who can't afford to buy a fancy dress.

When I was a kid a family in our church anonymously donated a wedding to one of the poorer girls in the congregation. They paid for everything... dress, tuxes, bridesmaids gowns, cake, reception hall, food, music, open bar... the whole works. All she had to do was pick out what she wanted. Of course we all knew it had to be a certain family because who else could afford it. But they acted as surprised as everyone else and never tried to brag or get any status from it. I've always remembered how kind that was and how much that must have meant to the bride and groom because they had been thinking it would be just a city hall kind of thing because they had no money to spare. If Caly and Zoe don't want this dress and I can't sell it, it won't go to waste. I can't do anything lavish like that, but I can swing $30 for a gown.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down