my crazy shopping trip

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

my crazy shopping trip

Post by thebigscott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Zoe told me yesterday that her shoes weren't comfy anymore, so today when I was in town I decided to stop in at the local thrift shop to see if they had any shoes that would fit her. When I went in they were having a sale, anything you can fit in a wal-mart bag for $2. I couldn't find shoes for Zoe but I found a few brand new pairs of jeans that might fit Caly and also some swimsuits since Caly's is about to fall apart. Then I saw they were giving away 2 oz. bottles of personal lubricant, so I picked up six. Then I asked, jokingly, were the brand new wedding dresses included in the sale. No, but they're marked down to $30 each. So I bought one. No one I know is getting married any time soon. But a $600 wedding dress for $30 is too good to resist. And I do have four kids, two of them being girls. I HOPE they won't need a wedding dress anytime soon but I was only seven years older than Caly when I got married. And if the boys marry someone who isn't from a wealthy family, she might like a nice dress for free.

I'm tempted to go back and buy more and sell them on ebay, although I've never made much money on ebay. They have so many fees nowadays.
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: my crazy shopping trip

Post by edbson on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 pm

ebay has no listing fees usually....

why so much lube? Shocked

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Holy Wow, great deals, Karen! I would also be tempted to buy and resell or repurpose those wedding gowns. Or heck, I'd fill a bag with the biggest pairs of jeans I could find. I really like using denim in quilts.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:26 pm

thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:27 pm

It's a lifetime supply, Erin! But my allergy medicine doesn't just dry out my nose. It was free and won't go bad.

That's Caly trying on the dress. I can't believe how well it fit, plus there's extra allowance in the seams. She loves it too and so does Zoe.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm

The dress is gorgeous, you got a heck of a deal Karen!
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

That's just wrong seeing that young lady in a grown up wedding dress! LOL I mean, little bitty girls on Halloween are okay. They're so young it's just make believe. Caly looks disturbingly comfortable wearing that gown. (It looks great on her, too!)

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 pm

I thought the same thing, LOL. She looked like a bride! It's even stranger because my grandmother was Caly's age when she got married. But yeah, for $30 I just couldn't pass it up.

When school got out we went back and looked for more stuff. Pickings were slim for most of us but I got two boy's winter coats for Quinn to grow into and some Caly-sized clothes. We didn't bother to try them on at that price. I figure if they don't fit her, we'll stick them in a box in the basement and wait and see if they eventually fit Zoe. Some of them were used but some were brand new. The wedding dress is brand new. In the picture it looks off white but in real life it's stark white and beaded and sequinned everywhere except the train. Now I just need to figure out how to store it safely for the next 10 years.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by trax on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 pm

WOW - that is some dress and great bargains! Great picture, she looks like it was made for her.
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 pm

Beautiful dress, and she does look PERFECT in it.

okay, it will cost you MORE than 30.00 BUT well worth it. I had it done with my dress, I think I still have my dress- my mom took it from my grandmothers house after she died and I dont know what happened to it.
That bitch would give it away because she knows I want it.

anyway- take it to the dry cleaners, they will form it, and put it in acid free paper and seal it off. it keeps it from yellowing, getting dirty, dusty, or messed up. (think about your basement last month.... Sad )

I went to goodwill, pickings were REAL slim. Got me 3 outfits for church (one with 2 shirts) , and Rayley two dresses and a skirt for about 25.00. Plus some sleep pants for her.

And I went to Dollar general adn they were getting rid of shoes for 1/2 off. she got a pair of flip flops (pink and orange with a flower, found a dressed that matched it PERFECT at GW)- a pair of pink sandles, camo tennie shoes (the kind with otu laces ), that have pink in them, another pair, and then some pink and black converse type shoes- for 23.00. 5 pair I know- but I think there are 6. LOL

I also bought a 14 in square pan at hobby lobby with the 40% off coupon.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:59 pm

I need a good thrift store, we have none. Just the Salvation Army and they rarely have anything decent at all.
tara

Number of posts : 6833

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 pm

I drove an hour to get to this one- I knwo a town that big has more than that- But, I jsut happened to see it walking out of chuck e cheese.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, Chelle. I'll call them and see how much they charge. I may have to wait until next month since I pretty much spent my wiggle-room money for the month on the dress. And I won't risk it in the basement. I'll put it either in the attic or ask my mom to store it in her house. My attic is well sealed and keeps things dry and safe, but it's teeny-tiny so I have to pick and choose what to put in there.

The thrift shop I went to today is my favorite but the sale is on because they're closing. Sad But I'm not in too much of a panic since they've been on the verge of closing at least two other times in the past decade and have both times managed to re-open under new management. I'm thinking there's a fair chance that the current owner is going but the store will stay.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:25 pm

OMG she looks like a bride to be (but yeah, hopefully not for several years!) You did good.

We had a nice Salvation Amy story here, but the shut down the big space and moved to their campus downtown, smaller, and not a great area. Our Goodwill is in a sucky location close but, but are in the process of building a new huge facility which shoud open next spring. I've gotten some great buys at both stores.
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:34 pm

It cost me $275 after the storm to have my dress recleaned, and sealed. ity had been sealed, but the box leaked....and they charged extra because there were mud stains. Really though, when you consider the price of a wedding dress, it is nothing.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 pm

We do have a big Salvation Army in Syracuse, probably more than one but the prices aren't worth the drive. I am always shocked at how much they want, 9 times out of 10 I can go to the clearance rack at Penneys or Kohls and get way better deals that are brand new. I wont pay $12 for jeans someone else has worn.
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 am

I'm hoping to do it for less than $100. If not, I may try to order acid free stuff online so that I can do a temporary storage until I can save up to do it the right way. I just can't swing it this month because we spent about $350 getting the cat and dog spayed.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:13 am

tara wrote:We do have a big Salvation Army in Syracuse, probably more than one but the prices aren't worth the drive. I am always shocked at how much they want, 9 times out of 10 I can go to the clearance rack at Penneys or Kohls and get way better deals that are brand new. I wont pay $12 for jeans someone else has worn.

$12 for used jeans??? That's crazy! Our places would charge $2 or $3 for used jeans. $5 at the most, and only if they were in like-new condition and/or a designer brand.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 am

Oh no, the very cheapest I found were $8 and those were merona (I think? the target brand). We went looking for dresses for Saige, the dresses were all $7-$8 a piece and not that cute. I can get new ones for $10. They have tons and tons of junk... and that is what most of it is, expensive junk.
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 am

It looks like there's a service online that will do it for $140 including shipping both ways. I'll probably do further searches and also call around locally and see if I can beat that, but at least I have a ballpark estimate. There's no way I can swing that this month of course, but since the dress is new I'm thinking there's no hurry. It shouldn't have any sweat or food on it yet so it should be fine until we do have the money. And when you add the storage costs to the money I spent to buy it, you still have a very good bargain.

I still have my own dress, too. It's a different style but very pretty. I like the idea of the girls (or future in-law girls) having the option of wearing either dress for free. Weddings are SO expensive and newlyweds really need that money for other things like rent and electric bills.

Tara, that's awful! I love our local places. You can dress a kid in good condition fashionable clothes for $2 or $3 an outfit. Adult clothes are a little harder to find in good condition, but aren't expensive when you do find them.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am

There's a thrift store here in town, I didn't even know it was open until earlier this spring. Apparently they dont' have any "set" business hours, so you have to just pop in and see if they are open. They have some nice stuff, and they have some junk. All of it overpriced. The clothes are usually nice, but a teeny bit pricey, the other stuff, dishes, knicknacks, etc are all overpriced. But if you watch you might find something there once in a while. I've got to check out my local Catholic Charities and Good Samaritins, Good Samaratins has just clothes. On the first Wed and Fri of each month, they have a bag sale. Fit all you can in a smaller bag for $3. or stuff a white kitchen garbage bag for $6. Sometimes you can get good stuff. I never find anything for myself, but I'm usually able to find JJ stuff, once in a while I find something for Wynonna. Catholic Charities has a little bit of everything, all of their items are donated by people and the money you pay when you buy something goes to their soup kitchen/food bank. I have to look for king size sheets there. We got our new bed, but king size sheets are expensive.. Sheets there are $1. each. They don't always have every size but it doesn't hurt to check.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:26 am

Kelly, check wal mart, Not online...in the store. Kind size sheets run roughly $28 a set.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

We did get a set at Walmart ....and will probably get another at some point. But I would like to have a few sets. We like white sheets and both hubby and I like them bleached..so the sheets tend to wear out faster...
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 am

We also have to keep our eye out at Marden's, mom found a 600 threadcount egyptian cotton queen size set for $25. If I could keep my eye out for some king size sets there
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Beautiful dress! Your dd looks beautiful in it too. If you do decide to sell, you might try Craig's list rather than ebay. No fees there at all. When my dd got married a few years ago, her dream dress was only $400 at David's Bridal. They always have that $99 sale too. We almost picked one of those because of the price, but we got her the one she really wanted because it was her dream gown and only $400. I know many people pay $4000 and think nothing of it, but I see nothing wrong with the ones at David's Bridal. It is a sweet idea to save that dress, but the truth is that styles change often and girls usually like what is the current style. I know my dress is soooo 80's
Razz

kleenaechs
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down