Anyone here ever..?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone here ever..?

Post by KellyM on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm

So, I have tried candlemaking in 2003 and 2004..which was great...the candles turned out very nice and were highly scented but there wasn't anywhere local to buy wax and it cost more to have the wax shipped than the wax actually cost. I couldn't make enough on them to keep making them.

Then was my cake making attempt, again people don't want to pay enough, gum paste, fondant aren't easily found here and the places they are found are charging an arm and leg. You can't charge enough to make back what you put in for supplies.

So my next experiment (mind you this will be more of a hobby, unless I get super good at it and could actually make something) will be making chocolates. Molds are really cheap, I can get the kinds of chocolate I would need locally, 98% of stuff I can find locally and the 2% I can't are found rather cheaply online. I have read up on tempering chocolate, and using chocolate molds, etc. I would just be puttering around on it. If I could use it for gifts, that would be great..it would be even better to learn enough to make some nice filled chocolates for the Chocolate Festival here in Feb.

Has anyone here ever made chocolates, or filled chocolates using molds? If you have, did you have issues with learning to temper the chocolate? Did you have difficulties learning to use the molds?
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone here ever..?

Post by bizzeedee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 pm

not I, said Willy Wonka ! good luck.
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Scott has done it once or twice on a whim. Turned out okay, but he was only doing a small batch and not filling them. He did it because we were watching Jacque Torres on food network and it looked so yummy.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 pm

My mom used to own a cake supply shop, and she did alot of chocolate stuff. I have done it, I don't like doing it, but I can. I have some of her molds, but I don't use them.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:18 pm

My sister bought Ceilidh a chocolate making kit (for kids) for her birthday one year. We really got into and had fun. The kids loved doing it! We even had kids make chocolates at Zach's birthday party one year. We had no problems at all. I am not very artistic, so making chocolates several colours sometimes didn't turn out the greatest. I never made filled ones, but I did make a couple hollow ones. Those were fun! I painted different areas (eyes, necklace, etc..) in whatever colour I wanted, then poured in brown chocolate to cover everything else. The kids loved those. We bought ketchup/mustard bottles from the dollarstore to put the melted chocolate in and kept those in cups on hot water to keep the chocolate soft. We never had a problem with it. The kids got used to have to wipe off the bottles before using them so water would not mix with the chocolate as well. We stopped doing it now, but that is more because of time. LOL. I would love to get back into it.

The molds that were hardest to use was the hollow ones and those weren't even that bad. The kids had no problems using the regular molds.
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down