100+

View previous topic View next topic Go down

100+

Post by bizzeedee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:13 pm

I'm so tired of these extreme temps.... Thomas came to mow this morning, at 8:30 and it was already 84 (90 by the time he finished with extreme humidity). I felt so bad for him... when he was sweeping (he doesn't like electric or gas blowers) I went out to pay him (I had to take a shower) and give him a bottle of cold water, which he totally appreciated.

When he arrived, Chuck answered the door, and Chuck commented that our grass is so much greener than all the neighbors. Thomas explained it's because our yard is so full of weeds! How blunt is that... as if I didn't know. We chose not to use weed killer or lawn services that put down poisin...

Green is good, don't care. And the fish, frogs and other living creatures in the river behind us don't die because of us! (sorry Lori, I know you deprived a snake of a frog ... you're a braver soul than me)

And the day just continued to get hotter and more steam, especialy after we got about 1/16" of rain ~
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 100+

Post by Lori on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I hear you about the pesticides! My MIL lives on a lake, and there's an effort being made by many of the residents to spread the word not to use them, as they're washing into the lake and causing all sorts of crap to grow in there, but MIL must have a perfect lawn. She puts stuff down at least 3-4 times a year.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Mines all weeds too, but it's green and it looks good when it's mowed, lol. Absolutely no pesticides here.

I just took a job as the caretaker for the local Masonic Lodge. Part time, couple hours a month and I do it when I feel like it, can't beat that.... but anyway I argued myself blue with the guys insisting that the only way to take care of the weeds in the driveway is to spray chemical crap on them.

So today two of them are at my dads and mentioned that the driveway looks great, they're glad I broke down and bought the spray. I said no, "I nodded and agreed with you to get you off my case and then did it my own way anyway" and gallon of vinegar worked just as good if not better and the kids next door that play in the driveway they share (the lodge owns the house and rents it out to woman with a 7 yr old and 4 yr old), wont have to be poisoned for the sake of a weed free driveway and for mere pennies. They just kept saying Really?

tara

Number of posts : 6833

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm

vinegar... perfect solution, and use it for the same purpose... grass that grows out of concrete!
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm also sick of the heat. We have outside pets and they always ruin the yard anyway so I never bother to put anything on it other than water, and even then it's mostly just from the kids messing around with the water hose.

I can't wait for fall.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

yup vinegar and soapy water....that's what we have to use because the neighbors have close to 30 cats, some of which are in our yard (and on our deck) often.
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:10 am

OK, I am the odd one out. I don't fertilize, but if we don't spray the yard monthly the mosquitoes are unbearable. We spray the grass with pesticides, they say they are plant based, but who knows..., and have the automated sprayer that goes off every hour and mists the fence line...and the mosquito deleto,and the thermacell, and the propane fogger. ....and we ise OFF by the gallons, 45% deet kind.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down