Photos from my Neighbors' Webcam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Photos from my Neighbors' Webcam

Post by Lori on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Our closest neighbors have a camera set up in their yard and have programmed it to take one shot per minute. He emailed a few photos to us. In the past they have caught bobcats, fox, coyotes, etc.

The camera points towards their birdfeeder (at the top of the pole).
For size comparison:

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Photos from my Neighbors' Webcam

Post by KellyM on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Yeah..we get all kinds of bears here. I used to put up a suet feeder but every couple of weeks I was replacing it. Either it would disappear completely or I would find it torn open and empty. Between the raccoons and the bears, it didn't matter where I put it. I even NAILED one with a few good sized nails, into wood really well, thinking it would hold..Nope, I found the suet cage on the edge of the lawn in the bushes all mangled..
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm

lol reminds me of that joke:

" The Department of Fish and Game are advising hikers, hunters and fisherman to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears."

'They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. "
"Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray."

Last edited by KellyM on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:25 pm

We had our bird feeder hanging from a cast iron pole and it got mangled all to hell. I always blamed it on a raccoon, not wanting to believe that a bear had been in my yard mangling the feeder and pole.

Our neighbors have seen the bears, and my oldest son has seen one on the road, but I always miss them. I want to see one so bad! Last summer a neighbor called and said a bear had just walked through her yard and was on the path that led to our house. I went out to look for it but he never came through our yard. Maybe the beagle keeps them away. She thinks she's pretty fierce.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:35 pm

I want bears. All we get is racoons, possums( ick) and the occasional bobcat. We used to get Deer, they would eat my tulips, but not lately. We do get alligators, but not frequently,and none lately.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm

no thank you!
after my encounter with a brown bear a month ago...I have no intentions of running into another one any time soon. looking back I laugh at my overreacting and wonder who got the bigger scare...me or the bear since I don't think he was expecting to see me either!
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Erin, your car insurance rates would go way up if you had deer like we do here. I don't know anyone who's been in a car accident up here, but I could name lots of people I know who have hit a deer. They do a lot of damage, and no, you can't keep the deer. My dad, niece, BIL's sister, friend, aunt...sheesh, it's crazy.

Jessica, I want to see a bear when I'm either on my porch or in the car. I'm chicken, too. I sometimes walk through a trail in the woods if I'm walking the dog and want to go further than usual, and I'm always a little worried about running into one. If she has cubs, it could get ugly.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trax on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:29 pm

We get bears here also. I encountered one about a week ago thundering down the pathway, scare the you-know-what out of me. I try to live with nature, not against it and I try to be aware, at all times, of my surroundings.

Nice pictures from the webcam, thanks.
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I have hit a deer, actually about 6 miles from Chelle's House. I was driving down the highway, and he jumped out of the woods and ran into the side of my car....killed the deer, broke my car, and scared the bejeezus out of me.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

Heck erin, about 6 miles from here on opening morning BR and I were headed to the woods and a deer ran into us- hit towards the back of the truck and got back up and ran off. LOL damn thing could have died and saved me a cold morning on the stand with no deer sightings. LOL

here you can keep the deer, but you have to tag it.

PERSONALLY- I think the state should insure the deer and have to fix your vehicle. Cause if you kill one out of season, YOU get fined and have to pay a replacement fee- cause the state says thy own them.

They released black bears up here- (I think) they used to be around here, till thy were eradicated. They say they will open season on them after a few years. if one shows up here- its open season no matter what. I love nature, and belive everything has its place in nature- usually in my freezer.

hunting is after all the best conservation. Smile LOL

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:57 am

Deer vs car is a common fight around here too. You can keep the deer here, but I've never seen one worth keeping after a run in with a car going 100 km/h.
Cool pics of the bear! I've never seen signs of a bear around here, but they have been spotted about half an hour from here. I've seen signs of a cougar at my mom and dad's though. I think I'm more scared of the cougars than the bears -- they're so unpredictable and quiet too! I often wonder how many times I've been in the woods at my mom and dad's and been watched by a cougar that I didn't know was there... That being said I wouldn't mind seeing one as long as it's just eaten a nice big buck and I'm holding my camera.

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:00 am

chelle wrote:They released black bears up here- (I think) they used to be around here, till thy were eradicated. They say they will open season on them after a few years. if one shows up here- its open season no matter what. I love nature, and belive everything has its place in nature- usually in my freezer.

hunting is after all the best conservation. Smile LOL

I couldn't agree more. I'm not a hunter, but I do know that animals that are hunted legally (not poached) tend to do much better as a species. About the only animals that I don't think should be hunted are elephants, gorillas, and whales and dolphins. Those are intelligent species so hunting them isn't much different from hunting people.

As for releasing bears and wolves, I'm tentatively for it. They do play a role in the ecosystem, but you need to be responsible and make sure that you aren't making things worse instead of better.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

Karen, you wouldnt belive the problems they have had since they released the wolves back into the northWestern states. They are sooo awful.

I have no desire to hunt any monkeys, zebras, or such- but that is personal prefrence. I honestly dont begrudge anyone for hunting anything. Their customs are much differnt from ours. I dont belive in poaching, but harvesting anything legally is okay with me. You'd be amazed at how intellegent pigs are. and various birds. Heck, a crow will make a tool to get to food.

We have mountain lions- and we have coyotes.. honestly, there is no reason to reintroduce bears. Not one I can think of. I know they used to be here- but so did buffalo- what would happen if you rereleased them? LOL

Lori, have they had any problems other than the feeders being knocked over and destroyed? I just wonder what the chances are of one trying to break into the house if they KNOW there was food in the yard and destroyed something to get it enough times.

what do people with small livestock operations do? does everything have to be kept in locked barns? Like here, we just have open pens with covers for shade. Its in no way preditor proof- Thats why coyotes are fair game.

I do have to keep my chickens and ducks in a total enclosure (made of wire floor to ceiling) because chicken hawks are everywhere, and they will kill even if they cant tote it off. And they are illegal to kill.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

No, they haven't tried to get in the house, but there are stories about a bear getting into a furniture store in town. It was before we moved here. They generally keep to themselves. They raid bird feeders and suet, and I really have no idea what else they will eat if they find it available. We have found some remains in our yard. One time a large fish head (I got rid of it before trying to ID the type of fish, because my beagle would have been all over it) and one time the body of a rabbit. Only the head was gone. I was thinking...if I was a predator and got surprised by people, would I really take the head with me and leave the body? That really seemed bass-ackwards to me. We have bald eagles here, and they'll carry off small housepets if they get the chance, but not sure what sort of animal left the body parts behind.

About wolves...DH and I were out geocaching last weekend and the trail we were on was very overgrown. DH spotted what looked to be a wolf ahead. I didn't see it at first, but when I did, it was just watching us and seemed to be waiting. Not moving towards us or trying to hide. I had to stand on tiptoe to see it in the tall foliage. I wanted to keep going, but DH said he was not comfortable. He said he didn't want to find out that we were being surrounded or stalked by a group. We found out later that it wasn't a wolf we saw, but a dog. But it wasn't worth taking a chance.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:23 am

Here it is Hawks, Eagles, Owls that carry off kittens and the neighbors Chijuajua and such.

I think the Black Bears being released was cool, they aren't huge, they are cute, and I have seen them at my Dads. He gets a couple of Cougars too, and as long as they all keep their distance, I am happy.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:08 am

We have all kinds of wildlife here. We see it often moose, bear, coyotes,fox, deer, etc. The only problems are the moose and deer accidents on the roads. However if most people were travelling at the speed limit, they would have time to stop, that would eliminate about 70% of those types of accidents. Other than that most of the time when we encounter these animals up here, they take off in the other direction if you make a loud noise. But if you are quiet, they will go about their business. The only time bears are out and about are when people leave their garbage cans out overnight, or their bird/suet feeders. Other than that, bears pretty much stay out of the way of people.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top