OMG the heat and humidity!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OMG the heat and humidity!

Post by KellyM on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:32 pm

It's been unbearable here for the last week and a half and looks likely to remain so for a while. Just the heat itself wouldn't be horrible, but the heat and high humidity is really bad right now. It's so hot and humid the last few days I have pretty much had to spend most of my time in my bedroom (the only air conditioned room in the house). The extreme heat and humidity make it even hard to breathe.. I don't know how I am going to do it, but I have to do a major housecleaning today, finish up JJ"s year subject review to add to his portfolio, laundry up the wahzoo, and find and pack all of our stuff to leave tomorrow. We are going to be going down to Grey, about 6hrs from here to have JJ's homeschooling portfolio reviewed. Then about half an hour from Grey is Naples (where hubby's oldest sister lives) where we will spend the night. Leave first thing Sat morning to come back home and stop in Bangor at my neices on the way back to see her, her hubby and kids...
I just don't know how I am going to get all this done in this heat...it doesn't even cool down enough at night to provide any relief..
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OMG the heat and humidity!

Post by Lori on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:45 pm

It's been really bad here, too. Our house has AC, but DS and I took a little road trip yesterday and ended up stopping to visit my grandma. OMG - her room at the nursing home was so hot! She had the insulated curtains closed and the lights out and fan on, but we took turns sitting in the chair that was underneath the fan, because that seat got no breeze whatsoever.

I can't imagine how the road crews are handling the heat. You may as well get inside an oven if you're laying blacktop in this heat and humidity. Ditto for all the other manual laborers, whether harvesting, hoeing, or swinging a hammer.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Wynonna's BF (who is actually working now) is working doing blacktop for his uncle who owns Quality Paving...and he's been doing that in this heat. We are trying to see if he can get the day off tomorrow and they can both come down with us. That would give all of us time together and give him a break from the heat he's had to work in this week. I don't know how they do it without passing out...
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

It is hot here too...mid 90's , but due to the tropical depression it has cooled down a bit. I would rather have hot sunny NON humid weather than hot humid rainy crap. I think we are going to have plenty of rain though, the Gulf is pretty disturbed right now. We also have coastal flooding, from high tides...not a big deal, but some of the roads have water on them.

I have been cleaning all morning, and had to turn the thermostat down to 70, and turn on the ceiling fans....even the big one in the livingroom. I never turn it on because it is so big it creates a wind instead of a breeze.

If her BF has just started then maybe it is best he works instead of going with you. He probably needs the money...

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:28 pm

He's been working for a couple weeks now...we're supposed to have heavy rain tomorrow anyway so it won't put them out any. We'd be paying for their expenses such as meals, etc. They have actually been doing okay. They moved out of their apt which was a couple towns away and moved in town about a 5 minute drive from me. He doesn't have to worry about working now because the uncle he works for goes right by where they are staying. He got his permit and they have a second hand vehicle (which his father helped get them). They just moved over the weekend. Dan's father is letting them stay with him and his girlfriend rent free provided they pay for their own groceries and that Dan gives him his paycheck each week to hold on to so that Dan won't spend it. He said they can stay long enough to save security deposit, a few months rent and some $$ set aside. Until Wynonna gets a job, shes' doing all the housework and learning to cook, so she feels like she's doing something and not freeloading. As soon as we can get the info we need about her getting her GED, then she plans on going for that, which i told her I would help her study for...things are looking up for them.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

It's WAY too hot. I hate this weather. I don't handle the heat well at all, it makes me sick- literally. I get headaches and puke.... a lot. It's been 96-102 for the last four days. It's too hot to even swim. The kids and I have been hiding in my bedroom watching movies and coloring for the last two days trying to stay cool in the A/C. It isn't even cooling down at night. Poor hubby is at work and if it's 99 outside it's at least 115 in the factory. I remember what it was like when I worked for Oneida- I don't envy him a bit.

tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Like erin said- its been real cool here. we have been in the high 80's. But usually we are in th 97-103 range. with real high humidity. Its just normal here.

When you work outside you get used to it. The best thing is to NOT set your air real low, so you can acclimate yourself.

Thats one reason (aside from 400.00 elec bills) that I keep mine in the mid to high 70's. You dont get as sick if you dont have massive temp changes. My FIL is notorious for gtting pnumonia in July cause he works outside all day in a 'boiler' thing. (on a paper mill) and its about 120plus all the time. Then he gets in his truck soaking ass wet and turns on the AC full blast. BR is real careful to not do this- because he gets in and out of a truck all day.

Funny thing is- inmates are NOT required to work in high heat- but normal people who need jobs have to.... very sad...

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm

98 here today, but this is the south... I'm shocked to read about the extreme temps on the east coast, up and down the seaboard... and obviously inland as well.

We keep our AC at 80, and honestly most of the time I'm wearing a hoodie in the house LOL

My way to deal is: stay indoors (well I do walk to the mailbox and out to get the newspaper).... grass is so dry, it won't be mowed this week (our lawn boy said he hasn't mowed any of the 8 he does this week)... good chance of rain this tomorrow... I say "bring it on!"

I did go water a neighbor. She's & family have gone home to Japan for 2 weeks, small flower garden, larger veggie garden. Fortunately, veggies are shaded in the morning, so water them, front garden is sun in the morning, so water in the evening. Letting my own flowers just deal with it. But I do plant mostly drought tolerant plants.

Before we all know it, we'll be complaining about the cold and 6 feet of snow (kinda sounds good, doesn't it?) LOL
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm

I keep mine on 76, and the house stays around 76 even though the unit is off most of the time....When I am doing heavy duty cleaning though, I turn it down a bit. We have (hopefully) 30 ish people coming for B'nuts bday party next Saturday....

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Mines at 69..... I keep the heat at 64 in the winter. I am always warm, I like the cold. I prefer winter but hate the icy accidents and the fuel bill. If I go out it's to the car with the A/C and then quickly into wherever with A/C and back all over again.

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:08 pm

It's not all that unusual for 100 degree days.... but a whole week of them doesn't happen often. The news is dominated with stories of people swimming, playing in sprinklers and buying A/C units and telling us it is hot out. Really? No shit? I'm sure glad they tell me about it, I would never know otherwise

tara

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Scott keeps the A/C cranked even if it's too cold for me. I'd be comfy in the mid 70's, especially if I could get used to it being that way for a while, but Scott likes it much colder and would keep the house in the 60's if he could. He keeps it WAY too cold in the winter for me. But I supposed I can always add more clothes and he can only take off so much.

I've been hiding inside as much as I can during this heat. 100's in mid August is one thing. But in late June and early July, it makes me nervous about how the rest of the summer is going to be.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down