Raising morons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raising morons

Post by chelle on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Okay, yesterday I left to take the cake from hell into town (resulted in me having to buy an airgun. I kid you not!!)

I told the boys to clean the living room and the kitchen while I was gone- I came home and my MIL had dropped off 5 watermelons, and they had a snake in a bucket. Wanted to know if it was a coral snake or a king snake-

It was a coral snake- the most poisonous snake in Texas-

Well, I told them to kill it- they wanted me to make sure it wasnt a king snake- they thought they might get to keep it if it was- I assured them it was a coral - Told them to kill it-

45 minutes later, Rayley said it was about to crawl out of the bucket- I sent them out ONE MORE TIME to kill it.

So they did-

Then I was talking about how deadly the coral is- and just giving them some basic info on it.

They kept saying "so if your just bit by it you will die?"
"YES" unless you get to a hospital"

"how long do you have to get to a hospital?"

"I dont know- it can be within hours, I've never been stupid enough to get bit"

"even if it doesnt bite you but for just a second?"

"even if... well shit, which one of you got bit?"

so Brett shows me his finger- wrapped in a bandaid.

Seriously. So I started researching them for sure- the symptoms can apear up to 10-12 hours later-

Now we know that you have to have been 'chewed' on by the snake- and corals are notorious for not injecting venom everytime they bite. But since their teeth and mouths are sooo small, they have to really get you good to give you venom.

So we started watching him- He never had any symptoms- and at the fireworks last night I talked to some good friends that are EMT's. They were confident he was good. just a 'dry bite' or 'dry strike'-

But one of them's wives works at our ER. SO I called her- told her it had been 12 hours, she said he was clear, but to watch him just incase. and that they indeed did have the antivenom, incase I had to bring him in, and she was glad I had called to alert them to the possibility.

He tried to stay up all night, to make sure he didnt wake up dead- But fell asleep around 1. LOL

Maybe this will stop some of the random grabbing of reptiles, insects and various other critters.

I doubt it, but it would be nice...

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Raising morons

Post by KellyM on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 pm

OMG.. glad to hear he's okay....well, maybe they'll be more careful next time since this happened. Or maybe they won't ..lol but will make sure to tell you right away if they get bit. Man chelle, your kids are fearless.. Smile
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by valerie on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Holy Shit!!
Glad he is OK!
valerie
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 680
Honeycomb : Level 6 Finally there!!
Registration date : 2008-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Wow! I'm SO glad to hear that he didn't ever develop symptoms. I'd have been scared to death! I saw the photo on facebook, but I was sure that it was one of the ones that mimic the coloration of more dangerous snakes.

He is SOOO lucky! ANd I hope they at the least learn when it's important to tell mom. Maybe you should have them study the markings of all the venomous snakes as part of their homeschooling?
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks everyone Smile

Karen, thats just the thing- they know the colorings, the types, where they are, how to kill them RIGHT, and to NOT hunt them down.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG- I'm just glad they dont knnow that an aligator was found not far from here-

chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Was the coral snake an adult, or was it immature? Not sure how big they get, but I think a larger one would have had a better chance of getting a grip on Brett's finger.

It just sounds to me like there are a million ways to die in TX. Guns, snakes, gators, hurricanes, and the list goes on. No thank you maam! I'll keep my cold and ice and put on a sweater and coat.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Same here Lori..I complain about the cold up here, but I dont think I could handle snakes, scorpions, alligators, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Those are things we just don't have up here and I don't think I could get used to them.
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:09 pm

LOL Yep Lori, luckily we tamed the wild indians, and the Texas Rangers got Bonnie and Clyde.. Smile LOL

We really only have about 4 poisonous snakes here- the rattler- the cottonmouth, the copperhead and the coral.

we do have gators, fire ants and scorpions, but most everything else is like y'all got, wasps, bees, yellowjackets, hornets, etc.

and my kids have had an encounter with each and every one of them except the rattler. they are pretty rare in our area. LOL

Coral snakes around here dont get real big- mostly stay small, and they need to get a good purchase, they do have a small mouth- it got the tip of his finger- which is why it couldnt get a good purchase.

We knew it wouldnt be long before one of them got bit- they wouldnt listen to reason- or my FIL and Grandfather tell them about when they got bit (in the 50's and 40's) and how painful it was- of course, that was by copperheads, one in his own room, the other at the waterin hole-- This is one of those lessons that I reckon is best learned by doin- I'm very thankful it turned out the way it did- Its a rough snake bite to get over, Takes weeks of therepy and the effects on your joints can last forever. But, just like when we told them not to jump on the horse with out holding both the reins, like when they insisted on playing with scorpions, or throwin rocks at a wasp nest, They wouldnt stop till they suffered the consequenses. Now, they have more respect and common sense about it.

I've talked till I"m blue in the face, I'd rather they didnt do stupid things, but, they tend to be hardheaded- like their daddy. LOL

chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Lori wrote:Was the coral snake an adult, or was it immature? Not sure how big they get, but I think a larger one would have had a better chance of getting a grip on Brett's finger.

Most snakes are more dangerous when they're less mature. Baby snakes tend to pump their venom like crazy on the first bite, while adults tend to save some back in case they need to bite again. From the picture it looked like an adult, but I'm not an expert. I only learned that because Zaven and Caly had a great interest in reptiles for a while. They didn't catch them, but they did read about them and watch shows about them.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:27 pm

OMG, you can talk, talk, talk, and they always think they know better. I don't know if I mentioned the day it was super icy out. It had started snowing, and I was out doing errands and noticed that it was exceptionally icy. I called DS - he was just getting out of school.

Me: Ben, the roads are realllly slippery now, so please be careful!
Ben: Duh!

Evil or Very Mad

So I'm in the post office and my cell phone rings. I answer it and tell him I'll call him right back when I get done. When I call him back he asks where I'm at and when I'll be home. He slid at the top of the street and the car was stuck in the drifts there. Thank goodness he didn't slide after he made the turn onto the road, because there's a 30 foot bank the car would have fallen over. I don't call my kid every time it snows and remind him to be careful. That is to say, I do not nag! But this was exceptionally slippery snow and he needed the reminder....like it did any good!

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:33 pm

OMG.. my worst nightmare ever!! Sad I'm so glad he is OK though...
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

View user profile http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:37 pm

OMG. I am glad he is OK!
aurora04

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Lori wrote:OMG, you can talk, talk, talk, and they always think they know better. I don't know if I mentioned the day it was super icy out. It had started snowing, and I was out doing errands and noticed that it was exceptionally icy. I called DS - he was just getting out of school.

Me: Ben, the roads are realllly slippery now, so please be careful!
Ben: Duh!

Evil or Very Mad

So I'm in the post office and my cell phone rings. I answer it and tell him I'll call him right back when I get done. When I call him back he asks where I'm at and when I'll be home. He slid at the top of the street and the car was stuck in the drifts there. Thank goodness he didn't slide after he made the turn onto the road, because there's a 30 foot bank the car would have fallen over. I don't call my kid every time it snows and remind him to be careful. That is to say, I do not nag! But this was exceptionally slippery snow and he needed the reminder....like it did any good!

My MIL calls me whenever the roads are slick, but I try to remember to listen. I'm glad he's okay. Is the car okay, too?
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh, yeah, the car was just fine. He only suffered by being visible to the other drivers as he was stuck in the snow. And he deserved every minute of it. It was a learning experience, because let me tell you, you never forget that awful feeling when you realize that you don't have control of your car any longer and it's up to God or fate, whichever you believe in.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Yep Lori, that is a fear you NEVER forget- when I got my first dually, I didnt realize how light weight the backend is- I hit a wet patch and hydroplaned- I was lucky.

I bet he listened next time you told him.

Things are dangerous enough with out them ignoring everything you say- I know that mine dont listen- they have to learn- even things like not following through and watering the animals right. I check everything they do- and when I find they didnt feed, or didnt water- I dont feed and I dont water. They are good about it for a few months after they go an evening with out something to drink or eat. I can only holler and scream and beat them so much. LOL

And snake bite has always been my biggest fear I think- not much is as deadly- I'm just very thankful that they are not alergic to your run of the mill insects like bees and wasps.

chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:47 pm

It was an adult, had to be.
I am SO glad he is OK, being that one of our neighbors died very recently from a Coral Snake bite, it literally took about 20 minutes before he dropped dead.

I will keep our snakes, alligators( they rarely eat anyone), skeeters, hurricanes, and 150 degree weather, but i absolutely cannot do cold. We also have Cicada Wasps, GIANT huge things that cahse you....hate them

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 am

Lori wrote:
It just sounds to me like there are a million ways to die in TX. Guns, snakes, gators, hurricanes, and the list goes on. No thank you maam! I'll keep my cold and ice and put on a sweater and coat.

Me too!
Glad he's okay.... and not my kid. I do not do creepy crawlies.
tara

Number of posts : 6833

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:26 am

damn erin! They said that anyone real young, real old or with current health problems is very susceptable.

And I'm with you- I'd MUCH rather be here and not freezing my ass off - The skeeters and fireants are the only think I really hate- well that and bullnettle! LOL

Of course, I'd only live somewhere where I am in the country- there are too many folks around me right now to suit me. You stick me in a cul-de-sac and I'd loose my mind...

chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Well that would sure be enough to freak me out! Glad he's ok and I hope he stays away from poisonous snakes now! LOL!
I'll keep my snow, you keep your poisonous reptiles!

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top