Is it rude?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it rude?

Post by KellyM on Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

Ok, my husband is in the local Kiwanis club which does all kinds of projects to help out people and the local community. Recently their new fund raiser is a money draw. He is selling tickets $10.00 each, it buys you a chance to win money. Each day in June a name will be drawn for a money prize there are 6 chances each week to win $50. one chance each week to win $100. and one chance for the month to win $500. so each day there is a winner, plus even if you are picked your name goes back in for the rest of the months drawings (who doesn't like money right?)
Anyway, SIL bought one ticket. Her oldest son is in Boy Scouts and we donate/buy stuff all the time (like $20. popcorn) So today BIL e-mailed and wants me to buy a $25.00 ticket, for a CHANCE to win a trip to Loudon for Nascar racing, or tickets to Red Sox game. Hubby and I don't watch Nascar or baseball and have no interest in it at all, even if someone gave us a free ticket neither would want to go. Is it rude (especially since SIL just bought a drawing from my hubby) to tell them "No thanks we'll pass this time?"
We usually support different things they do like buying cookie dough for their school PTA fundraiser, candles, etc. Those of you involved in Boy Scouts, is it the Boy Scout Association that picks the fundraisers that the boys have to do? Because the Boy Scout fundraisers are some of the worst. (Now before anyone attacks me, I think the Boy Scouts itself is a wonderful organization and it promotes many positive things) I am just saying that the fundraisers they have are terrible. It used to be popcorn in a tin, so when SIL asked if we wanted to buy Boy Scout popcorn last year we said yes...$20. later and when the popcorn came in, we found out it was a box of MICROWAVE popcorn! I could have bought a few cases of microwave popcorn at the grocery store for the price I paid for one, and it tasted horrible. I seriously think they need to rethink their entire fund raiser strategy.
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it rude?

Post by edbson on Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

I would politely decline, and if they mention the ticket they bought then you mention the many things you have bought and leave it at that.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am

I'd laugh it off and say you're going to have to pass this time because you're afraid you might just win. I have a hard time declining raffle tickets, but I do if the prizes are guns or something I have no use for. Tell them to let you know of other fundraisers in the future, but politely decline this time. I'd laugh and tell her that if they give you money to let them buy you a ticket you might consider letting them put your name on a ticket. Don't get into tit for tat, just make it clear that this is not the raffle for you.

And doesn't $25 per ticket sound ridiculously high for those prizes? Stuff like that is usually donated to organizations to raffle, and anything they make is pure profit. Makes Boy Scouts look bad. I do buy the microwave popcorn from them. At least it's something we can use.

The calendars are a nice fundraiser. My dad had a friend who was a Shriner and we always bought one from him. And won.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 am

I don't think it's rude to decline.... I do it often. In this case I would probably say no thanks but give me an address where I can make a direct $10 donation to the troop or give them a check made out to the troop- unless I trusted them with cash.
tara

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm

tara wrote:I don't think it's rude to decline.... I do it often. In this case I would probably say no thanks but give me an address where I can make a direct $10 donation to the troop or give them a check made out to the troop- unless I trusted them with cash.

That's what I usually do. Only I don't even give $10 because the troop's profit on that box of popcorn is just a few bucks.

When we did scouting it was pretty much mandatory to do the popcorn sales. Girl scouts do cookies and the boys do popcorn. But we didn't do any other fund raisers. We all agreed we'd find inexpensive activities and have each kid pay his own way. We did everything we could to keep costs down so that the kids wouldn't have to sell overpriced junk to family.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue May 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks. I wasn't planning on buying tickets, but I didn't know how to tell them no and not feel like I was being rude. I will take all of your advice and just tell her that I don't really have much use for Loudon or Red Sox tickets even if I did win, and tell her to make sure to let me know when the next fundraiser opportunity comes up (and I'm sure she will).
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 pm

As someone who does fundraisers all the time, Basicly, very seldom is anything donated. I cant even get our local places to donate ANYTHING to us. not even a $10.00 item on the silent auction.

I buy what I can afford, when I can afford it, because I know its not the prize- its the point.

I'd MUCH rather buy a raffle ticket for $100.00 worth of macy's clothes, (if you knew me, you'd know how hilarious this was), then I would pay 38.00 for a 8X10 and a 5X7 and 3 wallets of school pictures (which is ALWAYS a 50/50 fundraiser for your school.

Those overprices catalogs the kids bring around? usually 40/60 school gets 40%.

I always fiqure if I win (and I never do) and its not a gun, (which luckily are what I sale now (no more PTA for me Smile and usually what I am approached to buy) I can always donate it back, to let them either raffle again, OR have a kid/person get drawn for it.

We do have people that donate the guns they win back to be auctioned off at the banquets, with all proceeds going to us. Of course these are rich people with 3 or 4 of the same gun already. LOL

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 am

Tickets for sporting events get donated all the time. Season ticket holders don't go to every game (especially here, where the Red Wings play in Detroit, 4 hours away) and donate a few games to this or that association every year. When I won the pair of Red Wings tickets this past year they had been donated by someone we know. He plays w ith DH on his hockey team and we've bought tickets from him several times. We know those seats well.

The teams themselves give away tons of things, too. All you really have to do is send a letter and ask. Hats, books, a jersey once in a while.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 am

OH Lori, we dont have anyone around here like that. We have a bunch of rich folks, they got rich because they dont spend the money. LOL and places like Lowes, walmart, etc are really the only buisiness'. its a real small town, and pretty poor to boot. its just hard to get donations, even from the mom and pop type places. But a place with a corporate sticker is much harder. PLUS, who cares if they donate, they are the only game in town. LOL And honestly, they are hit every week for all kinds of stuff. I know I do 2 banquets in a 3 months span. there is project graduation, band boosters, links sales for everyone and their dog every weekend. RElay for lifes (these are almost once a month around here), the rodeo, the schools (there are 5 of them. and 65% of the kids that go to them are on free lunch, so that means the other 35% of the town, supports those 65%. its real upside down here) its just constant.

The NWTF thing I just did? we sent out a letter to EVERY buisiness in the phone book explaining what JAKES was, asking for a donation so we didnt have to charge the kids and could maybe get the 'innercity' or projects kids involoved. we got NONE back. NONE. Two of the members of the commity own a business, they donated, and another friend, and then our bank. that was IT.

and all of that being said, if I dont belive in the charity, or really dont like the way its handled, then I dont buy period. And honestly, even though I ran the fundraisers, my kids didnt sell them at the schools. I had no choice, we tried to do raffles, we tried to do other stuff, and people wouldnt go for it. they wanted their 'sally foster' or whatever. so I did it. and if someone asked, I told them no. I told them about hte profits, I told them about the junk, I told them whatever they wanted to know.

We did get into selling candles the last few years at one school. that was much better, but still priced so high I couldnt do much. LOL

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top