My son is applying for his first job today!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My son is applying for his first job today!

Post by KellyM on Mon May 10, 2010 4:00 pm

JJ has been thinking about getting a job lately. He picked up a ton of applications and was getting ready to take them in. My BIL happened to call today, Sleeper's, one of the places that JJ wanted to work, is hiring. Craig, one of the guys who works there, put in a word with the boss about JJ because JJ has helped Craig out moving furniture with him and helping him DJing and stuff before.
All JJ has to do is go down and turn his application in today and he's pretty much guaranteed a job. It's a grocery store, but they also have a clothing store on the other side of the building. They sell expensive clothing shoes and sportswear (DC, Volcom, Element, etc.) to the more afflluent in town and also Columbia, Carharrt, etc. any brand name you can imagine. If you work there you get a 10% employee discount on your purchases. It's a good place to work. He is so excited...he got all spiffed up and went on down to turn his application in...
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My son is applying for his first job today!

Post by edbson on Mon May 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Good for him!

I love Element, they have some cute stuff, and Bayley loves their skateboard stuff. I wish there was somewhere here that sold it.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Mon May 10, 2010 4:30 pm

JJ loves the clothes, he buys clothing there from time to time. I shouldn't say it's JJ's first job, he has worked seasonally for farmers the last few years. It would be his first year round job, student hours of course. When he would get a paycheck, that's what he would do is go buy a new Element hoodie or DC shoes. Now he will have a year round job he can buy more of the clothing he likes but it will cost him a little less. Kris and I will buy him clothes, but can't afford to pay $150. an outfit. We will buy him clothes at JC Penneys, and some of the stuff they have he likes. But I refuse to pay $80. for a pair of sneakers for him when I won't even spend $25. on a pair for me.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah. For us, JCP is expensive. I buy most of our stuff at wal-mart unless there's a really great sale. I splurge on Zaven at JCP because their clothes fit him better. Wal-mart doesn't even sell shoes his size, LOL.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm

We never used to buy from JC Penney either Karen. But I have found that the jeans JJ can get at Walmart for $24.99, he can get brand name at JC Penney when they have their sales buy a $40.00 pair get the other pair for a buck..so each pair ends up being about $20. and they usually have some type of coupon at the same time for a % off. He ends up getting JC Penney jeans for less than the walmart price.. We have managed quite a few times now to get his clothes cheaper at JC Penneys if we watch the sales.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I do that too, but I also still search the end of season clearance at wal-mart and get jeans for $5 or $10 a pair then. And the clothes for the little ones are much cheaper and about the same quality. I also buy at goodwill and yard sales and things like that. Sometimes you really luck out doing that.

My main problem with clothes is that Zaven and Scott are both in big and tall clothes. It's hard to get good quality clothes that size at a reasonable price. And even when they lose weight, they still need the tall size. Sucks because that adds about $20 at least to the price of a shirt.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Mon May 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I watch the end of season sales at Walmart too, but JJ's size is almost always wiped out. JJ also gets a few hand me downs from my oldest sisters teen son who is a year older than JJ, and they are clothes that JJ likes. I know what you mean about big and tall clothes, my hubby has to buy big and tall. The biggest problem he has are dress shirts and pants for work, his arms are so long..so he has to buy from King Size direct. The lowest price shirts he can get through there for his measurements are usually around $40. each, pants are more.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 pm

Dh wear big and tall, but we get his T shirts and stuff at Wal mart, 3X Tall is what he wears. I buy most of Bayley's clothes at Penneys or Hot topic, or Old Navy....they have some awesome sales.
Today I got 4 pairs of Capri's , 3 shirts, 2 tanks and a pair of flip flops at Old Navy for 19.92....not bad, they were on clearance.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 am

Good luck to him on the job! Kelly if you have a Costco.. their jeans are just a few dollars more than Wal Marts (seriously like $3 more) but last three times as long.. Much better quality. Took me a while to figure that one out when it comes to dh's jeans.
Connie
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Tue May 11, 2010 12:13 am

That is one AMAZING deal! I can't believe I missed it. I've been waiting for their flip flop $1 sale because they have the only flip flops I can wear!

edbson wrote:Dh wear big and tall, but we get his T shirts and stuff at Wal mart, 3X Tall is what he wears. I buy most of Bayley's clothes at Penneys or Hot topic, or Old Navy....they have some awesome sales.
Today I got 4 pairs of Capri's , 3 shirts, 2 tanks and a pair of flip flops at Old Navy for 19.92....not bad, they were on clearance.
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks Connie, no Costco here, if we even have one in the state it would probably be in Portland (about 6 hours away) but I don't believe we do..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by greeneyes on Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 pm

KellyM wrote:JJ has been thinking about getting a job lately. He picked up a ton of applications and was getting ready to take them in. My BIL happened to call today, Sleeper's, one of the places that JJ wanted to work, is hiring. Craig, one of the guys who works there, put in a word with the boss about JJ because JJ has helped Craig out moving furniture with him and helping him DJing and stuff before.
All JJ has to do is go down and turn his application in today and he's pretty much guaranteed a job. It's a grocery store, but they also have a clothing store on the other side of the building. They sell expensive clothing shoes and sportswear (DC, Volcom, Element, etc.) to the more afflluent in town and also Columbia, Carharrt, etc. any brand name you can imagine. If you work there you get a 10% employee discount on your purchases. It's a good place to work. He is so excited...he got all spiffed up and went on down to turn his application in...

Good Luck to him! Glad he wants to get a job and is motivated to get one. My brother is NOT. Sad
greeneyes

Number of posts : 514
Honeycomb : Six
Registration date : 2008-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue May 11, 2010 12:30 pm

well greeneyes, my other child, my 18 yr old daughter is not either, and neither is her boyfriend. It isn't conducive to them living on their own in an apt...neither wants to work but they want to live on their own and be independant (they don't realize that being independant means you don't call everyone you've ever met every other day to ask them for money, food, etc..)
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 am

Well...JJ had the job...until a snot nosed kid that doesn't like him that works there went and told the manager that JJ was a troublemaker who had bad grades and smokes. This kid was laughing and bragging to some other kids that JJ had the job, but he told the manager a bunch of crap and that JJ wasn't going to get hired now. Little punks like that piss me off. It's because of me dealing with people like that my entire life that I am bitter. He's just like me in that he's a doormat, kids his age do shit like that to him all the time. He doesn't play their games because he feels it's really immature...grr little jerks..Now his self esteem is going to go right through the floor. I told him to go and turn his other applications in today and not worry about that job.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Thu May 13, 2010 10:35 am

It's probably for the best Kelly, if he'd have had to work alongside the guy. I'm sure he'll find something he likes better and offers friendlier coworkers. My youngest is still looking for a summer job, too.

My kids don't play those games, either. The eldest schmoozed his way into his first job by really impressing the owner with his maturity. He was 14 and I drove him to drop off his application. Ours is a seasonal town, and apps were only being accepted between set hours when the owner would be in. He went in and I waited. I saw other kids go in and then come out. Go in and come out. And my kid was still in there. He was talking with the owner all that time, and knew he pretty much had the job when he came out.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Thu May 13, 2010 10:42 am

can they discriminate like that?

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu May 13, 2010 11:22 am

Its just that the damage has been done already. This kid doesn't really know JJ, hes one of the popular kids...its a big blow to JJ's self esteem. More often than not, parents of kids like this don't even know or care that their kid is being a jerk. If my kid is being a jerk, I tell him..not everyone was brought up like me I guess. I just know that even if he does end up getting a job somewhere else that this is damaging to him..and hurtful..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Tell JJ to go hit the kid in the nose while they're at school. Even if JJ gets his ass kicked he'll feel better that he stood up for himself. And the school will suspend him for 3 days so he'll get a 3 day vacation with no make-up work. (Here they won't let you get credit for any missed assignments if you were suspended.)

Zaven doesn't fight much but the few times it's happened he's always felt better that he stood up for himself. Caly actually gets in fights pretty regularly, although she's never gotten caught. Usually she's not fighting about what someone did to her, though. She'll see some bully picking on someone and she'll go sock him in the nose. Last year she hit a senior (she was in 7th grade) who was like a foot taller than her. I asked her how in the heck she even reached him and she said she grabbed hold of his arm with her left hand and started hitting with her right. When he jerked his arms up to protect his face, he actually pulled her right off the ground so that she could reach his nose.

Sometimes she gets hit back, but she's always said it was worth it to see the look in their faces when they realize they're getting whipped by a 'little girl'. That and she's gotten good at hitting people in the face so that they're kind of addled by the blow. They don't see her coming because they're busy picking on someone and before they realize they were in a fight it's over and she's picked up her books and walked away. The unpopular kids at the school adore her.

I should say that it's not an every week or every month event. But it's a few times a year for several years now. I don't know how she doesn't get caught. I suspect the teachers are looking the other way because they know she's doing it in defense of someone rather than being a bully herself.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu May 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Karen....the only one that would suspend him is me, I am homeschooling him, remember? lol Smile
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu May 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Ack! I forgot! But I still think he might get something out of standing up for himself. I vote that if the chance comes up to hit him in the nose, JJ goes for it.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Oh man.. Remind him that even though this kid is bragging that he is the reason JJ didn't get the job.. that doesn't make it true. If it is true and he had gotten the job and to work along side this jerk..oh what a nightmare that kid would have made his life.

Sometimes things happen that we don't like but they are always a blessing in disguise.. someday.. JJ will be the hiring manager and this kid will come begging.. too bad for him.. or maybe JJ will want to be the bigger person and hire him knowing he is the better one.
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum