A Moral Question

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Moral Question

Post by thebigscott on Fri May 14, 2010 7:31 pm

I'll write, too. And Chelle can bake you a cake with a file in it.
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Sun May 16, 2010 3:11 am

I will need that cake! Tara dh and I decided the second he got out of prison we would NOT be going to the reunion.. So there is no reason for me to be early except to get there ahead of everyone else and post flyers about the jerk.
Connie
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile http://www.katieshugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Sun May 16, 2010 10:30 am

If I were close enough, I'd come help you.
tara

Number of posts : 6833

View user profile http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sun May 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Illegal to post flyers? WOW< here they mail you a postcard letting you now a sicko is moving into the neighborhood. So far we have managed to run them all off.

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly on Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 am

edbson wrote:Illegal to post flyers? WOW< here they mail you a postcard letting you now a sicko is moving into the neighborhood. So far we have managed to run them all off.
wow a postcard sounds nice...
we have a nice little megan's law website that we can look up to find out if there is anyone in the neighborhood...pictures too so you know exactly who the creep is! well its not the perfect system since John Gardner didn't register like he was suppose to, but he should have never been let out of prison the first time...the system failed to protect the community and two teen girls lost their lives because of it.
briteasafirefly

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs on Tue May 18, 2010 10:40 am

Idaho has those sites too. Here is one:
http://www.idahosexoffenders.net/

kleenaechs

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Yep, we have the sites and it's really scary to see where they all are. The information is public but it's illegal to use the information to harass the offender.

Posting flyers in the park would be considered harassment. Personally I think we should be able to vote whether or not we want them released and then have a special place where they all have to go live.
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue May 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Actually, the Supreme Court recently made a ruling that sexual offenders who are likely to repeat can be held indefinetely. Even after their sentences are over. It'a move in the right direction.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Tue May 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Wow.. I don't know what to say about that.. It's a little shocking and frightening that the Supreme Court feels they have the "right" to detain anyone after their sentence is over. Not that there isn't a part of me that agrees in these instances but what's next?

The Supreme Court ruled Monday the federal government has the power to indefinitely keep some sex offenders behind bars after they have served their sentences, if officials determine those inmates may prove "sexually dangerous" in the future.

"The federal government, as custodian of its prisoners, has the constitutional power to act in order to protect nearby (and other) communities from the danger such prisoners may pose," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the 7-2 majority.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/17/supreme-court-says-sex-offenders-can-be-held-indefinitely/
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Parole boards do dumb crap sometimes, and sometimes convicts can get lost in the system. I don't see this as being a Super Power for the Supreme Court, I see it as insurance just in case stupid stuff or mistakes happen.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenaechs on Tue May 18, 2010 4:39 pm

In Az, they can commit the person to a mental institution after their sentence has been served. I do know a person that this happened to. He actually broke out of mental hospital and went and started a new life. He married and had a baby before he was found in a traffic stop, about 4 years after escaping. He had to return to prison for a year, but then got released. His lawyer argued that the state was wrong to commit him up for life. His new life showed he was no longer a threat because he had been in no trouble his wife and child had health issues making him very much needed by them. He is no longer on those sites because they moved him to lowest threat and those don't have to register any more (in Az anyway). BTW he never was a listed for abusing children, he had been charged with rape but it was a case where he was over 21 and the girl was under 18. I am not saying this is right or wrong, just that I know about this case.

kleenaechs

Number of posts : 641
Registration date : 2009-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I am absolutely okay with it. I do not see it as a slippery slope in the slightest. It would be far cheaper to just shoot the low life scumbags and make the world a better place. I bet the tax payers would provide the ammo and the service free of charge. But until stricter sentences ( like death or at a min life) are mandated on state and federal levels I am all for the supreme court taking the initiative to protect innocent children. I think it should apply across the board- not to just those that get the dangerous labels after re offending 3 or 4 times.
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

I do see it as a slippery slope. There are always mistakes in the legal system and I don't like to think that a judge and jury can give you one sentence but then someone else down the line can decide to keep you locked up forever without an additional hearing. I think it would be smarter for the jury to decide if you were a lifelong danger.

That being said I do think that child molesters ARE a lifelong danger and I'm in favor of the death penalty for them. I just want to make sure that those accused have every opportunity to fight the charges and that it's not a random official who makes the decision.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Tue May 18, 2010 11:19 pm

I agree that Child Molesters are a lifelong threat, and should be detained. However, a 21 yo guy who is with a 17 yo girl and her mama gets mad, he is labeled a sex offender, and that is maybe not the case. I know several guys who are registered sex offenders and are married to their "victims", they are all less than 3 years apart in age, and in TX legal consentual age is 18, I cannot count the times I have heard "17 will get you 20".

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Connie on Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 pm

I have no problem with this when it comes to child molesters, serial rapists, serial killers, drug dealers and maybe even gang bangers.

I DO have a problem with the fed govt feeling they have a right to override a judge and jury. Our entire judicial system is based on a trial by your peers and innocent until proven guilty.

If we are going to allow them to take that away from one group of people then eventually they WILL be taking it away from all groups.

If we don't like the judge and jury system anymore and if we are finding it flawed.. then we SHOULD be voting to change the system..

I truly believe they chose this group because most people will go "woohoo, who cares".. but it does open the door for other groups to be included as well. They will have set a precedent and we won't be able to fight it when they want to include other groups of criminals in the same deal.

They have the option of changing the minimum sentencing laws for this group but they didn't do that.. why not?
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly on Wed May 19, 2010 2:52 am

i don't know how I feel about the Supreme Court's ruling...
Honestly I would rather we just remove those people all together because I don't want to be paying for their nice comforts in prison.

I think they are just trying to cover themselves for the mistakes that have been made.
A Perfect example is John Gardner...
he released early from prison after molesting a girl in 2000 when it was said that he had no remorse and would be a threat. Broke parole a lot, but was never put back in prison.
February 2009, he killed Amber Dubois. December 2009, he attempted to attack a female jogger. February 2010, he killed Chelsea King. He plead guilty and has been sentenced to life without parole. Plus he's admitted to other assault attempts...
he should have neve been released in the first place as he showed no remorse for what he did, so the court system is trying to fix their major mistake.
briteasafirefly

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 am

I do agree with the 'give them an inch they take a mile' type thinking. but then again, I think someone who rapes a baby needs to be killed. slowly.

Statutory (sp) rape is a ... sticky situation.

TECHICIALLY, BR commmited it. I was 16 when we starte dating, he was 19 adn a girl just taking her shoes off in a mans car can get him in hot water... . We were living together when I was 17. (my house, I no longer lived with my mother)- We married when I was 18 and he was 21- and we didnt have to- I didnt have a kid till I was 24. Unless the law has changed, 2nd base is enough for stagitory (sp) rape here.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara on Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

Statutory rape is not something that gets anyone a "dangerous" label. Raping a 3 year old does not either. Sodomizing a 7 year old? Nope... unless there was a weapon used... not usually the case with victims to young and unable to fight back. Doing less time than the guy with an ounce of pot and getting out and doing it again.... nope still not considered "dangerous" raping a murdering a child.... usually.... third of fourth offense.... maybe. In reality, this will apply to VERY few sex offenders.

These scum can not be sentenced any more than the maximum. The laws need to be changed.... it is not going to happen. The states could take the initiative to protect our kids, some do more than others, but not nearly enough, most do as little as possible. Politicians are far more concerned with getting reelected and where the next payday is coming from than protecting those that deserve the most protection. Even though I think this is NOT nearly enough... way to broad, I applaud the supreme court in this case. I see it as filling in the gaps as opposed to over ruling. My guess is that 9.999 times out of 10 that the ones doing the sentences wish they had the right to make them more severe. They do not have the ability to go mush further.

I do not feel for terrorists that lose their rights..... I feel even LESS for these pieces of shit. I still think a bullet to the head the first time around would make the world a better place.
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle on Wed May 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Ya know, La had a law where they were putting to death a child rapist (I cant remember the particulars. but he was pretty bad) and the govt and wimps threw a FIT.

I was behind Jingle (is that how you spell it??) all the way. Kill the SOB.

I get an email every time a sex offender in my county moves. and yes, it does say "high, low, etc" BUT those that went on to marry their girlfriend still get their name in the paper and the picture every year. heck, I know one who married the girl BEFORE he went to court!! but they prosecuted anyway, now he is registered.

of course, I also know someone who had to register for YEARS, before he really got his day in court and was exonerated of all charges. (it was a step daughter who didnt like the rules... )

But, when your caught red handed, BY GOD kill the SOB. I dont want them 'cleaning up' and running the youth program at my church because they have 'found the Lord'... let them find him before the bullet hits.

the worst Member of Group A
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

View user profile http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2