Flowers..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flowers..

Post by KellyM on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:39 pm

And so, the new house has flower beds on both sides in front and back. I have never been able to have flowers before because the ground where we were living before was mostly ledge. So this is all new to me. However I have found out so far that I have daylilies, some type of perrenial geranium, irises, tulips, stonecrop, 1 tiny peony (has like 3 shoots) and two things which I have not been sucessful at identifying yet. One looked like what I thought were hostas because of the leaves, but there is a bud cluster in the middle and small pickish white flowers on it are opening...the big leaves are mostly dead from winter, but there are new ones growing up from the center..and the roots are black... The other ones are too hard to describe at some point I may just take a picture. I worked more today on cleaning out the flower beds. They haven't been taken care of for atleast two years. I spent cleaning out 2 years worth of dead leaves, dead flowers, etc. I only have the left front side done and 3 more to go. The two in the back shouldn't take long because they are small..it's the right one in the front that is going to be the hardest work. I was looking online at different perrenials that I might like to have at some point and was looking at coneflowers, I think they are so pretty..anyway I didn't know they had green ones..I would love to have some of these but they are kinda expensive
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/perennials/coneflowers/65049

I know I definitely want more peonies (i can get some from my mom when she thins hers out). She has white, pink, and a deeper pink...the light pink are my favorite because they smell the best...
KellyM
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flowers..

Post by KellyM on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 pm

on another post that erin had posted about how her flowers offended her neighbor, we were talking about black tulips which erin, tara and I all said that we thought were pretty...

Erin, I just found this and thought it was really cool looking;
https://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/specialtybulbs/62257
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:30 pm

OH, I like those. I will probably order some( dh might kill me), and add them to my red/white/black flower bed.
I like the Coneflowers too, green is unique.
Right now I am on a hunt for Passion Flower vines locally....mine didn't survive the storm surge,and I am ready to replace them.

I want this kind,
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R2201-2

and this kind
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/giant_granadilla.htm

I also planted Moon flowers, and am waiting for them to bloom, they smell SO good!

Just pee on it and walk away
[b]
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I like the second one the best erin...very pretty.... I thought those black ones were pretty too, very delicate and ornate looking.. the green ones are my favorite ..but expensive..I don't think I will be getting any of them in this lifetime..but they are beautiful
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Oh Kelly, isn't that exciting to find all these plants coming awake now? We have a new next door neighbor, and I don't think she apreciates all the stuff the previous neighbor left, including gardens, which are being dug up :-(

The previous neighbor gave me a peony plant about 5 years ago, didn't do much, but last year, my gosh, it went gang busters, but sadely I only got to bring a couple of blooms in (put in a class dish in water) before we left of vacation, but told my backdoor neighbor to cut as many as she wanted, as I knew they'd be gone by the time we got home, and they were.

This year, I tried counting the buds, but couldn't.... way to many ... but am excited that I WILL get o enjoy them this year... any day now.

Have fun and enjoy exploring your new garden plants.
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by briteasafirefly on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:44 am

passion flower vines are soooo pretty!!!! we had one with a really pretty purple flower going up a lamp post...darn squirrel ate the roots and killed it!

we've got sweet peas that are just about ready to bloom, california poppies growing like weeds, and some special poppies that should bloom soon...
briteasafirefly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 625
Honeycomb : the doomed level 6
Registration date : 2008-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:33 am

We have a flower garden that was put in by the previous owners. I don't do it justice tho. My flowers bloom then are dead in a week or so. There are 3 trees right up against the house (infront of the flower bed), but I keep it pruned in the summer. Maybe I'm not prunning it low enough and my flowers are not getting enough sun? Until I figure out how to keep these flowers alive for more then a week, then I will be looking into other flowers. There are so many flowers out there that I just love, but don't want to kill. LOL. Not sure what exactly I have besides tulips. My mother in law told me what most of them were, but I forget no.
aurora04

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I love that black bat flower! It's so pretty.

We have peonies, irises, daffodils, and a carolina allspice bush which I love because it smells so nice. We also have some redbud trees which are just beautiful in the spring. But ALL my plants are the kind that only require me to leave them alone. I'm a realist about gardens. I don't have the time, have too many allergies, and I'm no good at making them grow. So I stick with things that don't require much from me and spend a lot of time admiring other folks gardens.
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

View user profile http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Today I went and bought 2 Rhododendron bushes...one w/pink flowers (can't remember the name of it) and the other one with purple flowers called Purple Gem Rhododendron. I am going to plant them tomorrow (hopefully the weather cooperates...)
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:32 pm

I love poppies, Jessica! I haven't spent much time on gardening since we've moved here. We don't get a whole lot of sun and the deer eat a lot of stuff. Plus,, my dog is a digger and she also loves plowing through whatever she has to to get underneath the porches. She's just an old pain-in-the-butt hound dog and she never cooperates with any garden plans I have. On top of that, we live in Zone 3 and not much is hardy enough to take our winters and wind.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 pm

KellyM wrote:Today I went and bought 2 Rhododendron bushes...one w/pink flowers (can't remember the name of it) and the other one with purple flowers called Purple Gem Rhododendron. I am going to plant them tomorrow (hopefully the weather cooperates...)

good luck with the rhodendron... I've planted two... each year the get leaves, anyu only one have gotten flowers. something about not pruning the stems. depending on the variety, some bloom off old woods, others from the ground. so this past fall, didn't prune... leaves come along, but on new stems, plus a few on old stems. so i still don't know... just gonna have to wait and see....

Karen, I'm like you ... I want to pant things I don't have deal will but will come back every year. I do know I'm going to have to deal with my iris' this year... all purple (I used to get some yellow) Poor bulbs are squished together and most are exposed above the soil, so know that this summer will absolutely have to divide -- again !
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for telling me Dee..I will have to ask my mom if there are any tricks to them...she has two and hers do well, maybe she needs to teach me the ropes..lol Dee, I am excited about all of the flowers here...some people might look at them as a lot of work..and they can be..and might not appreciate them. However I know how much it would cost if I had to go out and buy all of these on my own and how much work it would be...and I just love seeing flowers when I am outside...makes me happy..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I love my plants and flowers, would spend all my time gardening if I could. I like the odd though, and don't plant anything my neighbors have...except the Daylillies I inherited with my property.
I also have 90 tomato plants, assorted heirloom varieties, 50 bell peppers of assorted colors, 6 habaneros because we eat them, I forget how many Jalapeno, 30 yellow squash, 30 zuchini, 17 spaghetti squash, 13/25 ft rows of green beans( kentucky wonders and blue lake), 75 cucumbers of assorted varieties, and 6/25 ft rows of giant sunflowers...the Mammoth that grow 12-18 feet tall. Now all I need is some rain.

I do all the yard work, and gardening, and would prefer dh just went to work and left it to me.

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:13 pm

I planted one of them yesterday..and it snowed this morning..it did melt however....and is supposed to snow tonight..I covered it this morning and will cover it again at night for the rest of the week..it should warm up after that. The second one I am not planting until another week or so goes by.we have had snow up here before in Mid May...it's not the norm..but this is warmer than normal up here this time of year..if the one I planted dies..I will just have to get another one to replace it.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Spray it lightly with water before you cover it. It helps prevent frost damage because the water freezes and insulates the plant a little.
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm

It's almost time for my flowering crab tree to blossom! I plan on taking and posting pics when it does. I will also take pics of the outside (which I didn't before because there was snow everywhere) and post them.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm in the mood for flowering trees! We saw lots of them in bloom downstate on Tuesday. They're about 2 weeks ahead of us Spring-wise.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I actually wanted that bat flower when I saw it in the Breck's catologue earlier this spring, but decided against it when I saw the price...
I saw a Japanese weeping cherry tree in bloom at the garden center last week and have been trying to find a space to put one ever since! I think I might be spending tomorrow hacking away at some purple leafed tree I never really liked anyway to make room for a weeping cherry.

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:43 pm

No worries Rebecca...that bat flower although beautiful is for zones 10-11.....you and I are way too cold for that. I don't know what it is where you are in Canada, but here in Aroostook County Maine we are a Zone 3-4.
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

I am Zone 9/10, but it could be grown indoors.

You sound like me Rebecca, I spent the entire winter killing the Azaleas because I hate them and they make me itch and sneeze. Dh thinks they froze Smile

[b]
edbson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:00 pm

erin, you could probably still grow it outdoors..I have seen people plant things before that were supposed to be zone 5 here and they did quite well. The bat flower is only one off from your zone, I bed it'd work..
KellyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:35 pm

We get those pretty flowering trees and shrubs in at home centers (Home Depot etc) and people don't realize they won't make it over the winter here. I was worshipping a shrub last spring and a woman came up to me and said "Don't do it!". She lived a couple hours south and she said hers didn't make it and it broke her heart.

Castello Burger Blue
Lori

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm

We're supposedly a zone 7, but I don't think it's accurate for here. I think we're more of a 5`
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am

I'd have to lift the bat flower in the fall and put the bulb in my cellar. We're supposed to be around a zone 5 here, but it gets pretty unpredictable because of the lake effect winds and snow storms that hit us from Lake Huron and Lake Erie. I tend to have some luck with flowering trees if I'm able to find a spot where they're protected from the wind. I never have had much luck with lifting bulbs though...

Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

View user profile http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top